When considering any decorative overlay project it is vital to do your research and choose a capable and legitimate contractor to ensure that your project will look right and more importantly last.
The decorative overlay industry as a whole began decades ago yet had a slow start due to the fact that overlay systems just wouldn’t last. Thankfully, all that has changed due to years of research and development and the introduction of many superior products such as polymer modified cement and so forth. However, the overlay industry can be complicated due to the fact that there are so many different product options, obviously some better than others. Even more critical is the contractors knowledge, experience, and ability to apply these products successfully.
Here are key points to keep in mind when considering to hire a decorative overlay contractor.
- First and for most, make sure the contractor is licensed, bonded, and insured.
- The sole purpose of the contractor’s board is to protect you the consumer. Unlicensed contractors do not carry Workman’s Compensation insurance, so if they get injured on your property, you could be held liable. Homeowners who use unlicensed contractors are not eligible for the Residential Recovery Fund, and by law a contract with an unlicensed contractor is null and void.
- Get the contractor’s license number and use the link below to check the Nevada State contractors board for complaints filed and how many years they have been licensed. Also check to make sure they have the proper license and bid limit. Just because a contractor is a licensed landscaper doesn’t mean they possess the technical ability to install a permanent overlay to your home.
- Check the contractor’s years of experience and competency.
- Many contractors will say they have X amount years of experience but ask them to verify that. Check the contractor’s board for how long they have held their contractors license.
- Ask for references and examples of past work.
- Check the contractor’s reputation.
- Social Media has become the greatest tool for any consumer. Look for reviews, likes, and fallows on all the major social media websites like Facebook, Google +, Linked In, Twitter and Yelp.
- Check to see if the contractor is accredited with the Better Business Bureau and certified with Angie’s List.
- Finally, use your gut instinct.
- Does the company present themselves professionally? Are they courteous and respectful? Did they show up on time and listen to your needs? Do you feel comfortable trusting them with the integrity of your beautiful home?
Do your research and schedule a free consultation to see how Creative Coatings scores against this list.